Tuesday, August 02, 2005

You think you’re in the movies and everything's so deep

Okay, so I finally got tired of the whole video store thing. It wasn't a late fee thing because we're good about returning movies on time. It was more of the effort of going and looking around and not being able to remember what you want to see and them not having what you want, etc. Anyway, I signed up for Netflix and got my first two movies (The Whale Rider and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid) last week. We watched The Whale Rider (Karyn and I actually watched it twice, first without the girls, then with them). I loved the movie - great story; superb acting; positive message. It was really a great movie to watch at home with the girls because we could pause the action and discuss concepts as they came up. I think it helped them understand the movie better than they might have if we had seen it in the theater.

We have been supporting our local historic theater link quite a bit lately. I took the girls there to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and the whole family went to see March of the Penguins. I really enjoyed both movies. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was great escapism and had a great look. It was also fun to see because I had read the book to the girls during our road trip to Wisconsin. March of the Penguins showcases incredible nature filmmaking in the harshest of conditions and tells of the amazing lengths that Emperor Penguins go to in order to propagate their species. I wonder how many human parents would perform similar feats for their offspring.

Final movie-related thread - last night I stumbled upon Screen on the Green. It takes place in DC and they show movies on the Mall. Last night's picture was Suspicion. While not my favorite Hitchcock movie, it was fun watching with a crowd of people in the great outdoors. I especially liked the Pepe Le Pew short before the movie. People watching was fun too - lots of picnics and groups having fun. I was sitting up near the screen and had about 2 feet of space on either side of me - the American space buffer. This couple came up and asked if I would mind sliding to one side so that they could squeeze in. I did and was rewarded for my kindness - they shared their wine with me. Nice way to spend an evening.

Cars / You Might Think

3 Comments:

Blogger Jilian said...

Reading about all your DC adventures reminds me how much there is to do up there. Sometimes I'm a little sad I miss out on the cool opportunities living in SWVA, but in reality I'm busy enough as it is, my head might actually spin off if I had more options to choose from!

Looks like there's lots of movies I need to go see. I just saw Mad Hot Ballroom last night at the Lyric, I think your girls would enjoy it. Might be beggin you for dance lessons :)

11:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's really great that you guys watch movies with your kids and actually explain the story line, what a great way to interact. I am continually impressed with yours and Karyn's parenting skills.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Joel said...

Firsbee and movies on the mall. You are almost making me want to move to DC, almost. :)

3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home