Thursday, June 02, 2005

Let my spirit carry me

Amazing what can happen, how life can lead you in very unexpected directions, when you let it. I left work today and decided to try to leave the post by a different gate. Well I made a wrong turn and wound up not where I wanted to be at all. I got pretty frustrated 'cuz I just wanted to get back to the hotel and chill. After driving around awhile I ended up near a Metro station and decided, what the heck, I'll go into DC and walk around the Mall a little. It'll help me clear my mind some, ease my frustration. I get on Metro and overhear a group of people talking and realize that they are headed to RFK for a Nationals game. I decide to go too and check out a professional baseball game (watching Grace's and Mattie's softball games must have done something to me - in fact, as I type this, I'm halfway watching the women's college world series on ESPN2!!!).

Highlights from the game:
  • a great seat around 20 rows back from the Nationals dugout
  • the speed of the pitches
  • the sound of the ball being hit and caught
  • very exciting game against the Braves
  • the Nationals (who I was routing for) ended up winning
  • enjoying a couple of beers, some peanuts, and a hot dog (even if they did set me back $20)
  • the announcer and the singer from the Bud Light "Real American Heroes / Real Men of Genius" ad campaign were there and did an ad based on the Nationals
  • Treasury Secretary Snow threw out the first pitch and was seated in front of me (his Secret Service entourage stuck out like sore thumbs in their suits and ear peices) - just reminded me of what a great town DC is for a political junkie
  • the rain held out until after the game

I made it back to the hotel without incident, only it was about 5 hours later than I had expected...

Steve Miller/Fly like an Eagle


2 Comments:

Blogger Rex said...

I let life lead me like that once. I ended up at TCBY.

I like your story better :)

8:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you were able to enjoy an unexpected curve...just goes to show there are some happy curves as well...funny how they seem to come in the escapes...Enjoy your week!

7:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home