Friday, May 06, 2005

We can make it home with one headlight

Here is my public service announcement for the month - do not drive sleepy! If you feel like you are getting tired, pull over and stretch, nap, get some caffeine, whatever - just do not continue driving.

I learned this the hard way Tuesday morning. I got up at 3:30am to head to Reston to work for a few days. Well, I was very tired by the time I got on 66. I should have pulled off for awhile but didn't. I was in heavy stop and go traffic when next thing I know I hear and feel a big crash and realize that I had fallen asleep and hit the car in front of me when it had stopped. Luckily we were not traveling very fast and no one was hurt. Both cars were damaged but still drivable. This could have been so much worse and I feel lucky to have escaped serious harm to myself or anyone else. Please, don't drive sleepy!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! Glad you are ok! Sorry bout the damage! Good advice - I've known too many ppl to fall asleep at the wheel and get hurt!

12:26 PM  
Blogger Jilian said...

Thanks for the reminder!! I way to often drive when I'm tired, thinking I'll be ok. A couple times opening my eyes thinking 'did I really just nod off' has alerted me to the seriousness of it. Really driving tired is as bad or worse then driving drunk. Glad you were not hurt!

10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home