Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Sin City

So, I had been looking forward to seeing this movie based on the buzz, previews, etc., and decided to go see it last night (I'm out of town this week and it didn't really seem like Karyn's type of movie). Well, I was very disappointed. The whole thing came across as pretty sterile to me - I just never really got into it. It kind of had the feel of a Tarantino film, but without the excellent use of music and humor to draw you in (and no Uma Thurman!). It used black and white with splashes of color, but not as effectively as other movies (e.g. Rumblefish). I just never was really transported into the story and therefore the violence just seemed gratuitous and the black & white left me cold. I can always tell that a movie hasn't pulled me in if I find myself checking my watch during the film - well, I checked my watch 3 or 4 times during this film. Interesting sidenote - I kept thinking that Rosario Dawson looked like a dominatrix version of Condoleezza Rice...or maybe that is just what happens to us Political Science majors as we become dirty old men. Anyhow, the best part of the whole experience was enjoying movie theater popcorn mixed with peanut M&M's (even if it did cost more than the movie) - now THAT'S sin city!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home