Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Who I am when I am with you, who I'm not when I am lonely

In a recent post I wrote that I didn't like conflict. Well, an anonymous comment suggested that not only did I like conflict, but that I thrived on it. This has me thinking about how we see ourselves is often very different to how others see us. Even different groups that we interact with may see us very differently. To me, the way we act in groups is very much dependent on the energy of the group. For example, my circle of friends that originated in the bunker (and has happily spread) is a very supportive group with great energy. Therefore, when I am with them I tend to be more energetic and upbeat. When I'm alone, I still tend to view myself in terms of who I was many many years ago - definitely an image that needs updating in my mind! I'm sure my family members all have their views of who I am based on our shared history. I feel like asking the real "Robert" to please stand up like in the old gameshow To Tell The Truth.

Lately I've been giving much more thought to who I want to be rather than who I am. I know I want to be a good father, husband, brother, son, and friend. Beyond that, I want to make the world a better place for my having been here. I'm working on how I can best do that with the talents that I have. This is where anybody reading this can help. Post, email, call, whatever, but let me know what you think my talents are and any suggestions that you have on how I might use those talents to make the world a better place. The phone lines are now open :)

Lyric from Madonna's Nobody's Perfect

4 Comments:

Blogger Joel said...

I am sorry that I did not see this earlier or I would have called. You are what you want to be, at least what you listed in this entry. It is hard to be all those roles. And just by being those roles you do make the world a better place. Is there more you could do? Maybe there is, but you do make a difference in my life, your kids’ lives and your families lives. I'll give you a call tomorrow and we'll chat. I look forward to seeing you on Sunday. Keep you chin up buddy, we'll talk. Remember, “Always look on the bright side of life….”

7:44 PM  
Blogger Rex said...

So when am I coming up to Roanoke so we can have dinner?

1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are always changing and redefining ourselves RM! Everyone sees something different when they look at you or me or whoever, it's part of why we are friends with those we are friends with. We allow certain people to know part of us and only 1 or 2 (ie wife/husband) to know the whole of us, and even then sometimes that is hard to fully do. You are an amazing person, full of life and energy, and encouragement...and that's just the side of you I see! :)

9:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When our focus is on what we want to be...that is who we become.

9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home