Friday, May 13, 2005

Welcome to my life

So, last night there was an ice cream social at Grace's and Mattie's school. Me and the girls had fun eating pizza and ice cream, listening to music, and playing on various moonbounce type rides. Got home, did baths and got the girls to sleep fairly easily. So I decide to chill, watch tv, enjoy a cold brew and wait for Karyn to get home from her evening out. Suddenly my calm is interupted by a loud bang from upstairs. Thinking one of the girls had fallen out of bed, I went upstairs to investigate.

Well, each of the girls was in bed sleeping, so I looked around a bit and discovered that the bathroom window had fallen shut. Apparently my cat Ziggy had been sitting in the window when it shut and had tried to escape. He had been mostly successful, except about 3 inches of his tail had not made it out in time and had been severed. I frantically began looking for Ziggy to make sure he wasn't bleeding to death, but could not find him anywhere. I decided to try to call Karyn so that she could help me look for him and so that one of us could take him to a vet.

Well, Karyn's phone has a habit of not ringing and I couldn't reach her by cellphone. Fortunately, she had told me that she would be at a local dive, so I called there and asked for her. I felt a little like Bart Simpson calling Moe's, except I wasn't asking for Seymore Butts. The place is rather small, so they were able to locate her and she came home quickly.

After some further searching, I found Ziggy in the attic. We got him into his cat carrier and I took him to an emergency vet. They fixed him up a bit, gave him some pain medicine and sent me home with a lighter wallet and instructions to take him to the regular vet the next day for surgery (he's going to be fine, he'll just have a shorter tail than he used to). I finally got home a little after midnight and managed to fall asleep around 1am or so.

Then, around 1:05 am, Haley starts crying for me. I go in to check on her and she is in one of her lets talk for an hour modes. I finally get back in bed around 2am. Around 2:05, Haley crawls in our bed and begins thrashing around. I don't know how such a small person can take up so much room. Somehow I fall back asleep, only to be roused again when Grace comes in and decides to curl up at the end of our bed...

Up at 7:30 to start a new day and get kids off to school, do some work, go to Mattie's and Grace's softball game (tied 19-19), watch the movie Shark Tale outside in the park (first time I've seen an outdoor movie - never even been to a drive inn), and quickly to bed so that we can get up for a 9am softball game (Go Titans!).

Yep, this is my life and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Sure there are many parts that I would rather do without, there are many parts that I am trying to change, but there are also many parts that are wonderful and that keep me going through the chaos.

Simple Plan (although it sounds like Green Day) Welcome to My Life

3 Comments:

Blogger Joel said...

Sounds like a good life to me. :)

5:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The life of a family man! Why would you want to trade it in? It's weeks like that, that make Sunday mornings so restful :)

11:07 AM  
Blogger Joel said...

Oh wait, maybe I made the wrong comment. Better you than me buddy. :)

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home