Thursday, August 04, 2005

Many miles away, there's a shadow on the door of a cottage on the shore of a dark Scottish lake

I took my daughters to my brother's new place at Smith Mountain Lake over the weekend. I had forgotten how much I love lakes. When I was growing up (okay, so I really didn't grow UP much, but I did get older) my family spent time at my uncle's lake house on Lake Gaston. Those are some very happy memories.

The weekend was great! I got to waterski again for the first time in over 15 years. I got up on the first try and even stayed up. I tried to get up on one ski, but couldn't manage it (I blame it on boat driver error). However, I was able to slalom by dropping a ski. I tubed behind a boat for the first time and took each of the girls out on the tube with me. Grace and Mattie each also took a turn by themselves - I was proud. I also tried kneeboarding but couldn't get the hang of it. It seems like too much work, but I'm sure if I could figure it out I would enjoy it.

We had fun just swimming in the lake, boating, swinging, throwing frisbee, jumping off the dock and hanging out with family. My brother, sister-in-law, niece, and her boyfriend were there. My nephew showed up for awhile (part of his 19th birthday celebration) with his girlfriend and college roommate. Him and his roommate were a blast to watch as they egged each other on to crazier and crazier stunts. There were some spectacular wipeouts on the tube. Ah to be young and foolish (oh wait, I still am foolish, just not young anymore). My sister and her husband even showed up on a party boat with the party in full swing. My brother-in-law's cousins on the boat were trying to get us to keep my sister with us (they even offered us a case of beer) but we declined. It is nice to know that she gets as much abuse outside our family as she does within it!

Also watched another movie - I finally saw ELF. I thought it was a very funny movie with perfect casting - Bob Newhart was great.

Police / Synchronicity II

5 Comments:

Blogger Jilian said...

What's wrong with this picture? Skiing is easy and kneeboarding isn't? Maybe I'm the one who's backwards??

Sounds like a great time at the lake!!

12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet if Joel had been there he would have kept me!

6:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's great..and 40 is still young, you're only as old as you tell yourself you are. Glad you were able to get to the water!

7:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Up on the first try? I stand in awe...

4:43 PM  
Blogger Joel said...

Damn strait, I can't believe you were dissin my sister like that. I would have kept her even without the beer. Now that does not mean I would have turned it down. Just out of curiosity, what flavor was the beer?

9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home