Tuesday, January 03, 2006

All is quiet on New Year's Day

Happy New Year All! I hope everyone bid a fond farewell to 2005 and greeted 2006 with great fanfare.

I spent the last couple of days of 2005 rearranging the house while the rest of the family took a trip to visit the in-laws. I managed to get Haley and Mattie situated in their new rooms and to get the exercise room (aka my closet) set-up. Now I just need to finish painting the basement playroom and returning that part of the house to normal (or as close to normal as our house ever gets).

On New Year's Eve, I took the girls to spend the evening celebrating with their cousin in her new house. By the time I returned and we got ready to go out it was too late to execute our original plans (sorry Sam) so we decided to check out the activities downtown. It was pretty lame, but luckily we ran into some people we know and ended up celebrating the evening with them. After watching the ball drop on an outdoor screen downtown, we headed to a nearby bar and closed the place down. The other two couples were staying at the Hotel Roanoke and we joined them in their room for champaign and appetizers (asparagus with prosciutto, mmm). We also made plans for next year - we are dressing up and either renting a limo or an RV and partying all around town OR we are going to Jamaica - if you want to join us put in your vote... Finally around 3:30am Karyn and I bid them farewell and headed to the one place you have to go after a long night on the town, Texas Tavern, where I had a cheesy western with everything to start the new year off right! Later that morning (4:46 to be exact), I received a Happy New Year text message from a friend that I hadn't heard from in awhile. The message really caught me by surprise and meant a lot. We exchanged a few messages then I went back to sleep.

New Year's Day I got up and ran 14.6 miles in preparation for the PF Chang's Rock 'n' Roll Arizona Marathon. It felt great (for at least the first 13 miles) and I had a huge grin on my face most of the way because I was loving how I was feeling and how 2006 was starting. I love running on Sunday morning, because it is usually so quiet - being New Year's day compounded that silence - it was downright deafening at times. After running I went and picked up the girls and spent the afternoon with them. That evening we all went to IHOP and had breakfast for dinner - it was a great start to what I truly hope will be a great year. Many of you know that 2005 was not a great year for me. I am embracing 2006 as an opportunity to move my life forward and to quit looking back. If you happen to catch me back sliding, please promptly re-enact Cher's scene from Moonstruck and slap my face and say "snap out of it."

BTW - Since my last post, I've added the following genres (or is in genre?) of music to iTunes and my iPod: Classical, Easy Listening, Folk, & Metal. I now have over 2 days worth of music on my iPod, an NPR podcast and a funky video podcast called Tiki Bar TV.

New Year's Day / U2

2 Comments:

Blogger Joel said...

Happy New Year buddy. I jave already decided that 2006 is going to be the best year of my life. Well ok, one of the best years of my life. I hope to share a lot of it with you so that you'll have someone to laugh at.

4:19 PM  
Blogger Rex said...

Robert! Had a great time at Jilian's playing Settler's for the first time. We should do that again soon, but first you have a trip to AZ to take. Have a good run, I'll miss you all!

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home