Wednesday, October 12, 2005

I'm a man without conviction, I'm a man who doesn't know how to sell a contradiction

So, I could catch my reader up with the latest happenings in my world, but I've gotten so far behind that it would be a long and fairly boring piece. Instead I've decided to write about something that will hopefully spark some good commentary, but won't offend too many folks. Monica gets credit/blame for moving my mind in this direction with her recent post.

Here's the issue: I don't understand how someone can claim to be a Christian, as our President does, and be pro-capital punishment. To me, Christ was all about forgiveness and finding the potential in even seemingly worthless people. Not only that, but he was the perfect example of how government can wrongly kill an innocent person. Also, capital punishment, to me, is largely fed by revenge, which seems to go against everything that Jesus taught. The other problem I have is that many of these same people speak about the sanctity of life when they approach the abortion issue. I guess the potential of life is sacred, but once that potential has been realized and found to come up short, the state has the right to sanction killing. It just doesn't square with me.

What are your thoughts?

P.S. Maybe there is hope for Texas - check out this candidate for Governor

Culture Club / Karma Chameleon

2 Comments:

Blogger Rex said...

An interesting post and so much of everyone's outlook comes from the way they interpret both the work murder and how they choose to interpret certain passages of scripture.

After looking into the issue a bit I think I fall into the 'I agree' with Capitol Punishment category. I see murder and killing as differences and usually fall back on Romans 13 as what I see as clear. But for others it is certainly not so. The difference in logic is that the people being handed justice (which is not always correct) are doing so as a consequence of their action. In abortion, which I vehemently oppose, this is not the case. So I amy be right or I may be wrong, in the meantime I will plan on not getting into a sitiuation that gives me first hand experience.


An interesting definition from Wikipedia:

"In law, murder is the crime of a human being causing the death of another human being, without lawful excuse, and with intent to kill or with an intent to cause grievous bodily harm. In most countries it is considered the most serious crime, and invokes the highest punishment available under the law.

Murder is both a legal and a moral term, that are not always coincident. A killing may not be legally classified as murder, but still morally considered by some as a murder. For example, critics claim that the death penalty morally counts as a murder."

8:06 AM  
Blogger r.m said...

Rex,

I have real trouble with Romans 13. Here's verses 1-4:

"Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God. Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation. For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same: For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil."

I just don't believe that any government is ordained by God (as this seems to me to be implying) and I certainly don't have faith in any government to be the ultimate arbitrator in determining Good vs Evil - there is too much grey (my favorite color by the way).

The remainder of Chapter 13 is pretty positive and full of worthy goals (though I think most of us fall short on the not coveting bit and I'll just have to ignore the bit about drunkenness...).

Thanks for the thoughtful comment and for providing me an opportunity to study the bible a bit - I welcome healthy debate on this. Also, I make NO claims to be either a good Christian or a biblical scholar, so don't beat me up too badly on either point.

7:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home