Sunday, November 07, 2004

Update

Sorry for the long lapse - I tried to update Friday night, but it died and I wasn't up to retyping everything then.

The Saturday before Halloween Grace and Mattie ran their first race! We ran a one mile race in about eleven and a half minutes. Mattie was up ahead of me and Grace, but when she got near the finish she just stopped and waited for us. I thought she was being nice, but it turned out that she was afraid to cross the finish line by herself (didn't help that the grim reaper was waiting there for her...). We got really cool headless horsemen shirts. That Saturday was also my niece's 5th birthday party (her birthday is Halloween). She had her party at a gymnastics place - I had as much fun as the kids did playing on the equipment. Grace, Mattie & Haley spent the night with their cousin and got to trick-or-treat Saturday night with her. Two of them dressed as cats and one as a witch. They came home with three grocery bags of candy!

Karyn and I spent Saturday night volunteering at a fundraiser Halloween gala. She dressed as a black widow - not the spider, but a woman who marries rich men and kills them. Am I concerned? Not really - I'm not rich (in monetary terms). I dressed up as a vampire - one of about a dozen. Next year I will definitely be more creative. It was fun to do an adult Halloween thing for a change.

Halloween was fun. Grace and Haley were tie dyed witches. Grace's dress was pink. Haley wanted to be like Grace (this time) so I made her a purple tie dye t-shirt dress (thanks kris for the tie dying tips). Grace had a black wig with pink streaks and Haley had purple and black braided pig-tails. Mattie was more of a Gothic witch with black wig and a velvet burgandy and black dress. I'll post pictures as soon as we conduct the re-enactment. Almost every year we run out of time to take pictures - you try getting three witches ready to go trick-or-treating. So several days or weeks later we get them dressed up again and have a photo shoot. They got a bunch more candy - in fact we boxed up a ton of candy and sent it away to my nephew in college.

Monday night Mattie and Grace had their soccer banquet. Their coaches were really good this year - really focused on them having fun. Hopefully the girls will have a good experience in indoor soccer over the winter.

Tuesday - I voted. Karyn voted. Grace, Mattie and Haley voted 4-times (with each of us and with my parents) ... it didn't change the results. I also went to parent-teacher conferences for Grace and Mattie. They are both making all A's and their teachers love them. I'm so proud of them. It is really weird to go to these conferences - it seems like yesterday that I was in elementary school, now I've got two girls there.

Not much the rest of the week. I've been cooking a lot with the girls - it is a fun way to spend time together. We also did some yard work together this weekend - beautiful fall weather. Spent some time at the bookstore - bought two books for Mattie and Grace, which they ended up finishing before bed (getting library cards this week). Grace and Mattie were given bibles at church yesterday and had an afternoon of bible games at church.

I'll try to do better now that I'm caught up...

3 Comments:

Blogger ML said...

Oh, it sounds like your girls were very creative witches!! Glad to hear things are going well. Found your musical groove? I'm in need of something to fit this week and haven't found it. I might venture out and buy me a new CD. I deserve a treat this week.

7:49 AM  
Blogger r.m said...

Feeling much better this week - definitely back into the groove. Let me know if you find something good when you shop for some music - always looking to expand my horizons.

12:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good update, sounds like you are all having a blast :) Halloween seems to have skipped me this year, although I did eat a good bit of candy. Hey I have an idea for your costume next year... Oh wait, it's the week for me to be nice :)

1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home