Sunday, October 03, 2004

The Hokie Jungle

Friday night I stayed in b'burg to attend the Welcome to the Jungle party at Jilian's & Monica's. The Jungle Juice was definitely over-abundant and you had to watch out for the fruit that was in it (very powerful stuff). I'm not sure if we managed to finish half of the batch, but I had enough to be very glad that I had brought my sleeping bag and wasn't planning on driving anywhere. The visiting Abby was the perfect hostess, keeping everyone happy and the place tidy! In fact, I decided it might not be in my interest to become too good of a friend to J or M, since it seems their friends do a lot of their chores (mowing grass, cleaning house, manning the grill, etc.). The party was fun, great mix of people. It happened to end a little early though, so those that remained walked downtown to check out the pre-game nightlife.

We wanted to dance so we went to a place I had never been in before, Woody's. Scariest dance floor I've ever seen. As soon as any female hit the dance floor she had a couple of guys attached to her hips. Most of us headed out on their patio for some fresh air, then went over to one of the bar areas. Well Monica was working her charms all over the place, until she got embarassed by one of her students (he's hoping for a blackmail "A" but probably shouldn't count on it). After awhile, some of us headed over to Sharkeys looking for Rex (Joey?!?!) who had disappeared earlier. We partied with his friends until Sharkey's closed and then we headed back to the jungle. On the way, Monica pointed out a hill that she had always wanted to roll down. Well there's no time like the present (except for maybe sometime when the hill isn't soaked and the land below it isn't a swamp) so we rolled down the hill. I laughed so hard I almost peed in my pants - it has been a really long time since I laughed that hard. We got back to their place and cooked some bacon and hashbrowns, then watched a movie and crashed.

I awoke Saturday, thankful that I didn't have a hangover, since the football game was at noon and I had been looking forward to going to a game for awhile. It was the Va Tech vs WV game and it was the first Tech game I've been to in quite a few years. I walked to the game with Jilian and Abby (who was rockin' in her Hokie gear, face paint, etc. - we just need to get her some sneakers that aren't powder blue). Before the game I stopped by a few tailgates (a fraternity brother's, a co-workers, and my brothers') where there were incredible spreads of food. I met up with Joel (who had my ticket) and we went into the stadium. It was very impressive - last time I was there it was quite a bit smaller and less crowded. I'm not the biggest football fan in the world, but I really got into the game and the crowd. The noise is deafening in that place. Despite the deluge of rain (which was thankfully brief) I had a great time. I definitely hope to get to another game sometime soon. After the game I headed home and, suprisingly, didn't hit much traffic leaving b'burg.

All said, the Hokie Jungle was a great place to visit, but it is very good to be back with my bunny, monkey, frog and turtle at the zoo I call home.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you had a good time, Those gals really know how to throw a party! And thanks for breakfast at 2:30am it always tastes the best then!!! You picked a GREAT football game to go to as well. If only all of our weekends could be like this :)

8:58 AM  
Blogger ML said...

Thanks for coming to our little party, we had a blast and were so happy everyone could come. Thanks for indulging me in rolling down the hill, everyone should do it! It makes you feel like a kid again.

10:16 AM  
Blogger Abby said...

nice to see you posting. i have to say that it was a complete blast getting to know the other 'virgin' from our wonderful adventures at ACE. anytime you're up in michigan, feel free to drop me a line. can't say i'll be able to offer you the plush accomodations of your own sleeping bag and couch...but i try :-)

6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home