Monday, July 31, 2006

iPod Shuffle

Marie's Wedding / Traditional Irish
"Step we gaily on we go,
heel and heel
and toe for toe,
arm and arm
and row and row,
all for (Erin's and Rex's) wedding."

When was the last time you square danced? At a wedding? Well, Haley and I did at Rex and Erin's! Probably the best wedding I've attended. It really reflected the character of the bride and groom. On a day that they had every right to make themselves the center of attention, they instead made everyone else feel special. I knew it would be a special event when Rex asked me and Jilian to do him a favor in a very serious tone. Then he told us to have a good time. Classic Rex, even the bad pun. I was very impressed with all the work that had gone into transforming the barn into a magical setting for the reception. The hand-written notes and photos for the guests reflected how much they cared for the people that they chose to share this day with them. My daughters loved the hayride from the location of the ceremony to the barn and were kept quite busy with their buckets of goodies that Rex and Erin had placed for the children attending. The birthday cake that Rex made for me (since my birthday happened to fall on the same day as their wedding) was the crowning touch, complete with expert decoration (despite the fact that he didn't get to take his cake decorating class last spring).


White Wedding / Billy Idol
"Hey little sister, what have you done"

Tonight Grace and Mattie had a friend sleeping over. Grace told me that she didn't want Haley sleeping with them because she says dumb 5 year old stuff. So I told Haley that I wanted her to sleep in our room tonight. Well she went off the deep end, fussing and crying, wailing basically. Karyn, Mattie and I talked to her for about ten minutes trying to calm her down and explain to her that she could always do what her big sisters were doing. Finally Grace comes in and asks Haley what's wrong and Haley tells her that we won't let her sleep with the big girls. Grace then says that she can sleep with them - the crying stopped instantly and I wanted to be angry with Grace for putting us through that and then giving into Haley's fit. But I couldn't because it was just too funny.


Peter Schilling / Major Tom (Coming Home)
"4 3 2 1
Earth below us
drifting falling
floating weightless"

What happens when you ask your Dad to play with your Polly Pockets and your Lincoln Logs with you? In Haley's case, her Dad created a Polly Pocket Rocket that catapulted the tiny dolls into the air. Soon, Grace and Mattie became involved and we had to take the toys outside because the dolls kept hitting the living room ceiling - hard. Once outside we were able to launch the diminutive playthings quite far until one of the Lincoln Logs got broken and the girls lost interest. Not one so easily defeated, I thought long and hard until the next morning when I came up with the ultimate Polly Pocket Rocket - a long paint stirrer and a wine bottle. We were able to launch the little ladies up over the trees and power lines and onto the neighbor's lawn (although most of the time they landed on my car with a thud).

2 Comments:

Blogger Jilian said...

haha - I read this a couple days ago - but just now got the title. Funny! Good post also :)

1:30 PM  
Blogger Abby said...

So I read yours just to see if you were keeping up and I find that I'm actually doing a better job than you. I agree with only one portion of your quiz - the flirting style.

By the way, do you ever wish you had a boy? With all the Polly Pocket launching and stuff. It was the funniest thing, last time Bobby was up here (before he broke my heart in a million pieces) he taught my niece how to set ants on fire. She didn't like it - she wanted to kill spiders instead.

9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home